Napoli vs Real Madrid: live blog | By Sami Salah | 09/12/2017 05:16:53 First match of the season for Napoli, Real Madrid are aiming to win their first trophy in a little over two months.
They’ve been given the opportunity to go out in style with a 4-0 win at the Estadio Napoli.
The visitors took a commanding lead through Mario Mandzukic before Pepe Reina and Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring in the second half.
However, the home side responded well, with Pepe, Pepe and Ronaldo all finding the net, and they’ve scored 11 goals in three matches.
Here’s how to spot Real Madrid’s matchday 23, live from Napoli’s training ground: • The home team are unbeaten in all competitions in Serie A, but have lost all four of their matches at the Bernabeu so far.
The last defeat was in November.
• Real Madrid have not won at the San Siro since November 2012, and have lost seven consecutive meetings at the stadium.
• There have been two home goals scored in each of their first four league games at the Stadio San Paolo, but Real Madrid will be without Mario Balotelli for the match.
• The hosts have won just two of their last 14 away matches, with two draws and three defeats.
• Carlo Ancelotti’s men have struggled to break down the home defence in Serie D this season, losing just three times in their last 11 away games.
• Antonio Conte’s men are unbeaten at the Santiago Bernabeus since October 2015, while they have lost their last six league meetings with Napoli at the Camp Nou.
• It was a game-changing goal for Pepe Reinas in the 55th minute when he put his foot in to find the back of the net for Real Madrid.
• Napoli goalkeeper Andoni Zubizarreta saved Pepe’s penalty well, but the ball fell to Pepe, who was unmarked at the edge of the box.
It’s the third penalty kick converted by Pepe this season and he also had the second goal.
• Reina put the visitors ahead in the 29th minute, scoring with a shot that hit the post from 25 yards.
• Ronaldo put Napoli ahead in a matter of seconds in the 51st minute with a goal of his own, finishing from close range after being denied by Zubizarda.
• Pepe had a shot saved in the 72nd minute, but Reina saved it brilliantly with his right foot.
• Mario Mandzinico got Napoli level in the 89th minute after a free-kick from Mario Mandzo had been played in from the left.
He beat Pepe on the edge and sent a pass across the box for Ronaldo to finish.
• Adama Traore scored Napoli the winner in stoppage time with a header that was tipped over by Zubuzarda, but Ronaldo’s effort deflected wide.