The president of the Association of Travel Agencies of America is urging the Trump administration to rescind the travel ban that was imposed in March that was widely condemned by state tourism officials and some businesses.
The ban, enacted after a mass shooting in San Bernardino, Calif., in December, also hurt the state’s tourism industry.
“We do believe that this ban has a significant impact on our industry and its future,” said Mike Hager, chief executive of the association.
“The travel ban is going to cause some disruption and delay.”
Trump has faced criticism for the travel restrictions and for not enforcing them more vigorously, but the travel agency said on Thursday that it had not seen any evidence that the bans had caused any harm to tourism.
Trump has said that he has made progress on curbing the flow of refugees from war-torn Syria and Afghanistan to the U.S. but has not made clear when he plans to do so.
The travel ban had been criticized by a number of federal agencies and lawmakers.
The Federal Aviation Administration, the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security had issued new travel warnings.
State tourism officials said on Wednesday that their annual report showed that the state had lost $1.4 billion in the previous three months due to the travel restriction.
“This is not about the travel or any other aspect of it,” said Stephen Miller, executive director of the American Legion, which represents more than 12,000 state and local government employees.
“It is about the fact that our citizens are not safe when they are in the U, or our businesses are not able to operate because of the travel bans.”
A travel ban was put on hold for 90 days after Trump signed an executive order on March 13 banning travel from six Muslim-majority countries: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
The State Department said it would keep the travel freeze in place until it received a revised travel order.